AT PRIMARY SCHOOL STUDENTS
GRADE 1,2, AND 3
PERMENDIKNAS NO.22 TAHUN 2006
THEMATIC TEACHING MODEL
FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENTS CLASS I-III
WHAT IS MEANT BY THEMATIC TEACHING???
1) Thematic teaching is an integrated teaching which uses a certain theme to link some subjects in order to give the students a meaningful learning experience.
2) Theme is the main idea or the gist which becomes the main topic.
1) Students at grade 1,2 and 3 are at the early ages which still consider everything as an integrity (holistic), so that the teaching activities depend on the concrete objects and their experiences.
2) The implementation of disintegrated teaching activities at the grade 1,2,3 will not develop the students to think holistically.
3) There are some problems at the beginning years (1-3) such as, the increasing of those who must study over again and drop out of school.
1) The students are easy to focus their attention on some certain themes.
2) The students are able to study the knowledge and develop various basic competence among the subjects at the same theme.
3) The students have in-depth and impressing comprehension.
4) Basic competence can be developed better
5) The teacher can save the time because the subjects that are presented thematically can be prepared at once but given twice or three meetings. The rest of the time can be used for remedial or other useful activities.
BENEFITS OF THIS MODEL
1) There will be providence by combining some basic competence, indicators, and the content of the subject, because the overlapping of materials can be reduced and even eliminated.
2) The students are able to see the meaningful relationship among the subjects.
3) The teaching becomes integrated so that the students will get the comprehension about the non-fragmented materials.
4) The concept mastery can be better and increasing by guiding among the subjects.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THEMATIC MODEL
2) Giving direct experience
3) The unclear separation of each subject
4) Providing an integrated concept from various subject
6) The result of teaching is in line with the students’ interests and needs.
7) Using the principle of teaching while playing and having fun.
SHOULD ENGLISH BECOME part of THEMATIC SUBJECTs????
WHY/ WHY NOT?
THE POSITION OF ENGLISH AT PRIMARY SCHOOL GRADE 1,2,3 IN INDONESIA